Tuesday, September 24, 2013

{DIY} Antiquing Glaze



I go through a LOT of antiquing glaze around this house.
When I first started antiquing furniture pieces I used Valspar's Antiquing Glaze. After running out of glaze half way through a project a few different times I decided that I should make my own. 
And I did.
And it was lovely, so I decided to share with all of you!


Ingredients:
- Clear glazing medium or clear protective finish.
- Brown acrylic paint
- Black acrylic paint
- Copper Metallic paint


I started with one cup of glazing medium.
Then added 1 TBS brown paint.
1TBS black paint.
1TBS copper paint.
Stir.


I roughly painted a piece of MDF with white paint.
I rubbed my glaze on to the MDF. 


This is after one coat of glaze.


And this is after two.


My favorite thing about this glaze is that it can be completely manipulated to produce the look you desire.
  

On the above table I lightly rubbed the glaze on with a piece of an old t-shirt.



I used a brush on this bookshelf to apply more glaze in the corners and lines.
I'm a big fan of this glaze, it produces such a nice color and goes on smoothly. Most of all, I love that I can make as much glaze as I want!












4 comments:

  1. wow- that turned out so pretty- I am going to have to look at your tute again and give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Holly . . . I think you're brilliant, and I'm so glad I hopped over to your blog today from I Should be Mopping. Your glaze is absolutely perfect and I can't wait to find the right piece of furniture to try it on. Thanks so much for sharing the "recipe".
    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can't wait to try this technique. Thanks for sharing! Visiting from City Farmhouse.

    www.ferrytaleshome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete