Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Grayson's Closet Re-Do.

A few weeks ago I made one of G's closets into a fun little play area. This time I wanted to revamp a real closet....like for clothes.
It's amazing all the stuff my son has accrued since well, his existence was found out. So that leaves us with lots and lots of STUFF. Some of it we use and some of it is past it's useful time for him. All of this stuff was occupying one of Grayson's many closets (seriously, I want two closets).

Let's take a look at the "before" of the clothing closet.


Notice all the big-people clothes taking up residence in the closet for the moment.





I didn't get a stellar shot of the doors but you can see them a little bit in this picture above. they are on a by-pass door track but they are just painted pieces of plywood.






Once the closet was cleaned, gutted, patched, primed and painted a bright white we were in business.
Although the built in drawers may have looked convenient. They kind of freaked me out-potential spider city! So they had to go!  



I purchased this closet tower at Menards. It was simple to put together and anchor to the wall. (Sorry about the blurred picture, I was holding a squirmy, sleepy baby while snapping a few pictures).



I wanted to put a little something unusual in the closet. This chevron/herringbone hybrid stencil was perfect. I wanted to use the comet dust color that I had used here and here however it is very subtle and I worried it would not contrast enough against the white, so I added a bit of pale blue craft paint and voila!! Perfect shade!



Speaking of perfect shades, I picked up this shade at Lowes. It came on a little lamp that was on clearance for $4 so I bought the whole thing just for the cute little shade.



I added some utility hooks (the kind made for ladders and tools) on the "gear" side of the closet. I spray painted them a lovely shade of green that coordinates with the green wall in G's play closet.


I know it's not great photography etiquette, but for the sake of actually being able to see inside the closet I needed to use it's interior light, 
so you can feel free to ignore the huge bright spot staring back at you ;)
The one thing I absolutely needed in this closet was a place to put G's stroller. The utility hooks are AWESOME, I can hang up all of his gear that takes up floor space.




I was able to snag some Sterilite containers on sale which I used to separate too small clothes and label them with chalkboard labels. 


These doors are special order from Lowes. It will take about two weeks to get them in But they are almost identical to the original doors in the rest of the house. I'm ecstatic that Grayson'e closet will have double doors that both open, it will be so much more roomy and convenient for moving things in and out. I guess the closet will be open for the world to see until our doors come in, good thing Grayson has one good looking closet!











8 comments:

  1. Awesome makeover! I love the stencil and how organized it is now! If you get a chance, please link up to the Suburbsmama Sunday Linky Party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/09/sunday-linky-26.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita! And thank you for the invite, I'll be sure to stop by :)

      Delete
  2. Fabulous! I love the gear hooks. I need to figure out something for the closet in the room my girls share. It's a nightmare. Double doors would help; I'll have to see if we have room to swing them out.

    Thanks for posting on the KWB link-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! The gear hooks really are so helpful, I never realized how much STUFF kids will acquire!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful update. I love that you put a patterned wall in the closet! Thanks for sharing on The DIY'ers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so good with the colour on the inside of the cupboard, great job. I would really like to do this to a laundry cupboard but I wasnt sure if I would see the pattern enough to want to go through the time and effort of painting it on ... but I think you may have just convinced me otherwise. Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, it is SOOOOOO worth it, I promise! I thought the same thing to myself as well, but in the end I'm so happy with result!

      Delete