Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Unsung Heros of Goodwill.



          Actually my title should read more like " The Forgotten Sections of Goodwill..."
With the Pinterest and Diy blog craze that brought on the ideology that Goodwill might be more that grandma-couches and 80's prom dresses. Although this brought some attention to our forgotten store for things "too good to throw away- but just need to get the heck out of my closet", it also paved the way for Goodwill being the equivalent to an unfinished furniture store for the majority of us and we have sadly forgotten about the other departments, or at least I did. If I'm alone in this please, let me know. 
On a recent trip to Goodwill I scored BIG-TIME in  the accessories department. So, I wanted to highlight a few areas that don't get too much attention.


1. Linens N Things
I know what you're thinking, Goodwill sheets...No thank you! But just track with me for a second. I needed a throw or pillow cover or something fabric-y that I could use to dress up my comfy brown chair and to my surprise I found this wonderful throw and it seriously looks brand-new. I brought it home washed it up and it looks fabulous on my chair, no? (also the ruched pillow cover is a dress found at another thrift store, that I sewed to fit an existing throw pillow). So I'm totally going to be hitting up the linnens section more often, you never know what hidden gems will be there or what you can repurpose. 



2. Dapper Decor
 I knew my husband would like these, I love them; so when I set eyes on these racquets there was no question. Our hallway has a slightly vintage feel and at $2.99 these little babies were a perfect addition to the bottom shelf of my console table. I found them in the odds and end section. At my Goodwill that happens to be a line of yellow carts in the middle of the store. It definitely requires some digging but it's so worth it.



3. One Kings Lane
Just before I went on my shopping trip i had come across cute picnic baskets on One Kings Lane. I found this little beauty in the basket section. There seems to be a large basket section at every Goodwill, probably things left over from the big basket epidemic in the early 90's. However, used tastefully these wicker containers are permissible. 



4. Pottery Barn
I've seen blue and white pottery used(in moderation) in so much tasteful design. I found these two pieces with the dishes and kitchen supplies and snatched them up for my bedroom. 



Funny how I later found the same piece on Pinterest multiple times, so I think I'm in good company with this one.



5. Holly Mathis Interiors
One of my favorite designers, uses tons of galvanized buckets and tubs in her decorating. I do too, maybe that's why I like her so much.......needless to say I couldn't pass this up. I'll be honest, I have no idea what I'm going to do with it yet so it's taking up some space on my console table.

Have you found anything really great or unexpected at Goodwill or any thrift store lately??

No comments:

Post a Comment