Friday, January 6, 2012

Baby Bling

It's no secret anymore that in June there will be a baby at our house, along with our awesome budgeting concept we've also decided that it would be totally wise for us to start stockpiling our BABY BLING, and I started last night! The hubby and I decided a long time ago that we wanted to diaper our little ones with cloth diapers. Apparently if you say cloth diaper around any mom with grown up kids you immediately see her face turn but these cloth diapers we're talking about ain't your momma's cloth diapers. In the time I spent as a nanny I actually cared for a few little ones who had these new-fangled cloth diapers and they were awesome, so before you go thinking I don't know what I'm getting myself into, relax. I've got this. New Parent magazine did an article comparing and contrasting the use of disposables and cloth diapers. the article was pretty darn objective, the one disagreement I had with the article was the opinion of cloth diapers not being as absorbent and not wicking the wetness away from your baby. Personally my experience changing many cloth diapers was that if I was on top of my diapering duties the diapers definitely absorbed like a diaper should and the babies really didn't have a soggy bottom or any diaper rash issues. As a stay at home mom staying on top of the diapering thing shouldn't be a big deal, however if you are a busy parent that sometimes needs your baby to be content with a wet diaper for a little long, disposable might be a better fit for you. Anyway, I already new that I love love loved these diapers the next step was to convince my husband that he loved them too. New Parent had that covered too. In their price comparison they came to a great conclusion that if you buy cloth diapers even though they look pricey from the outside, in the long run you're probably going to shell out a lot less cash than if your buying two to three years worth of disposables. "By the time your child is potty trained at age 2 or 3, you may have shelled out as much as $1,500 to $2,000 on disposables, according to Consumer Reports. If you use more “eco-friendly” disposables, such as biodegradable or chlorine-free, you can expect to pay even more-an average of $1,600 to $2,500. On the other hand, cloth diapers and accessories (such as waterproof covers and cloth inserts or flushable liners) could cost as little as $500 or up to $1,200, depending on what kind you buy." (http://www.newparent.com/baby/deciding-diapers/2/)

 After I ran those facts by my husband he was ready and willing to commit to the cloth. the beauty of these new cloth diapers is their re-usability and that they grow with your baby. There are many different models of these diapers but they all have a few similar features, they all come equipped with a series of snaps on the front and sides so no matter how tiny or chunky your baby might be, she can have a great fitting diaper. Then there is the removable absorbent pad that takes the brunt of the action going on in the diaper. I've found one brand that I really like, Fuzzibunz (http://fuzzibunz.com/) but last night I branched out and bought two off of Zulily.com, If you don't have Zulily, you need it. They are a website and app that make daily deals available to moms. They have really great products for kids, moms and babies. They had a deal last night on Bum Cheeks cloth diapers, so I bought two! 
I bought a black one and an orange. We don't find out if our baby is a girl or boy until Feb 7th so for the mean time we're sticking to gender neutral diaper colors.


No comments:

Post a Comment